Can I Stop Child Support Payments If My Ex Gets Government Support?

Can I Stop Child Support Payments If My Ex Gets Government Support?

The Question:

How can I get off child support if ex got support from the government? The ex got food stamps and now I am paying child support.  I am in my child’s life and Mom is willing to agree to no child support.

RJ Says:

Child Support is always modifiable, especially by agreement.  If Mother is no longer on state aid, and she is agreeable to modifying your child support or even eliminating such, the State cannot prevent the two of you from that agreement.  

However, if you are agreeing to a different amount than would be required on the Arizona Statewide Child Support Guidelines, you must convince your judge that this “deviation” is in the child’s best interests.

Timing is important when pursuing modification of any Orders, and delays can have detrimental effects.  Please remember that Arizona does not allow retroactive child support modifications.  So, if you believe you are entitled to a modification, you need to file soon.  Every month you wait is a month you lose.  

A qualified and experienced family law attorney can of course assist you in considering your options and then getting where you need to be. Most of us offer free, « hour consultations, in which your matter can be discussed in detail. That would be a great opportunity to discuss the specifics of your matter and develop a plan.  I would encourage you to quickly schedule this free consultation.

Do you have a question? Send it to RJ, and we’ll get you the answer you need.